Monday, August 18, 2008

A good read and a good listen

A little over a month ago I came across mention of a book by Barbara Kingsolver titled Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. You can read a little more about it here The book is about a year her family spent eating their food almost entirely from their land or county. The book is both humorous at parts and incredibly informative. I'm left with a desire to learn the arts of canning and to achieve a greater ability at gardening. I've wanted to raise my own plants for a while and I finally feel like I'm reaching a point in my life where I might be able to do just that, at least on a small scale. This is a book I highly recommend. I went to the bookstore about a month ago and leafed through it. It grabbed me right away and it has been a 15 dollar purchase well spent. It's loaded with tips and seasonal recipes, how very exciting!

The second interesting item is an artist to listen to if you find yourself in the mood for something mellow. Autumn is quickly approaching and with it but before it goes the end of summer brings a few more quiet and gentle evenings. In my opinion the music of Inara George fits well. Her soft serenades and lush musical arrangements by Van Dyke Parks from her newest album just seem to fit the bill. I heard about her through two podcasts I listen to weekly. Hers is an album I definitely want to get sometime soon!

Have a happy week, I'll be chilling at New York's beautiful finger lakes until Thursday!

~Faux

No comments: